This webinar is targeted at newly elected trustees, and returning trustees who need a refresher, to understand the board's governance role, its obligations to students, and its primary focus on raising student achievement for all students.
How boards work
'How boards work' covers:
Driving change for Pasifika success
This webinar is designed to cover the board's responsibilities in four key areas:
- ensuring boards and school staff having essential knowledge and understanding of the rich cultural heritage that our Pasifika children bring to our schools, their realities outside of the classroom and the importance of ensuring we see each child through their own cultural lens;
- being aware of your Pasifika students' achievement rates and knowing what works for and how to work with our Pasifika students and their families;
- including Pasifika in your board's annual planning and review cycle; and
- making sure that professional learning and development is provided to all staff so they can confidently engage with and work with Pasifika students and their families.
- Transcript of recording: Driving change for Pasifika success
This webinar will assist boards of trustees to prioritise aspirations for learners with special education needs as you review your charter and look at targets for next year.
This webinar provides information about how to prepare for the ongoing success of your board and school before the election process. It will help you find out how a new board can take over and be fully prepared for its first meeting, discover whether your documentation for potential trustees is clear and provide helpful information on how to run a legal election process.
Ka Hikitia: Stepping up
This webinar supports you to connect with and implement Ka Hikitia in your school governance role. We introduce the key resources and priority areas for Ka Hikitia and share learning materials to help you increase your understanding of te reo ona tikanga Māori.
Ka Hikitia: Lengthening your stride
This webinar builds on the Stepping up Webinar, helping you, in your governance role, to re-evaluate policy and practice to support the educational needs of Māori learners. You will learn about effective programmes running in schools and kura, including the objectives and findings of Te Kotahitanga. The webinar discussion will focus on strengthening both charter content and operational practices so that you can increase your responsiveness to the focus areas of Ka Hikitia.
Effective governance for boards of trustees
This webinar covers the broad range of roles and responsibilities of all school boards of trustees. It is pitched for trustees recently elected to the role but is also a valuable refresher for experienced trustees.
The webinar supports the Ministry of Education's key messages in the Effective Governance - Working in Partnership resource about the purpose, principles, and practices of effective governance.