A complaints policy should have these features:
- A statement defining a concern and a serious complaint.
- A statement that says concerns will be dealt with informally by the principal or board in the first instance.
- A clear process for dealing with serious complaints from or about board members, the principal, teachers, staff, students or members of the community.
- A statement that says matters dealing with student achievement or student management will be dealt with by the teacher concerned or principal.
- A clear process for dealing with unresolved complaints.
- A step-by-step diagram setting out the steps of the serious complaints process from start to finish.
- A clear process for dealing with complaints about alleged misconduct and employee discipline.