2. Worker participation
Whai wāhitanga kaimahi
Worker participation is a key part of an effective health and safety system because the people who do the work are best placed to understand and manage the risks and contribute to system improvements.
A successful health and safety system provides workers with the opportunity to participate in health and safety.
For more information and resources, see the Other Content section below.
The board of trustees as parents of students has a vested and real interest in ensuring the health, safety, and wellbeing of our Tamariki. By supporting workers in the school to be engaged and invested in health and safety, the board maximises the ability of all to achieve this aim.
How can your board meet your obligations around worker engagement and participation
There are resources available from NZSTA, the Ministry of Education and Worksafe NZ. These include:
- Factsheets – effective worker engagement and participation practices, Roles of H&S committees and representatives, H&S representative election process, training for H&S representatives
- Checklists – consultation checklist, H&S training plan and record
- Templates – agendas, managing risks, reporting, meeting minutes
- Guidelines – Worker engagement
- Providing Health and Safety training to committee members