24 August 2018
Registrations are now closed.
NZSTA is delighted to announce that it will be running its annual residential professional development programme for board of trustees student representatives again in 2019. We invite expressions of interest (EOI) for 2019 Spirit of Adventure (SoA) sailings.
Your EOI must be submitted to NZSTA by Wednesday 5 September, 5.00pm in order for your student representative to be considered for application.
Please click here to complete the EOI.
Spirit of Adventure (SoA) require full details of all passengers by mid-October 2018. As student representative elections will not be held until September 2018, NZSTA is calling now for expressions of interest for a place on the programme ahead of the elections. Following this, NZSTA will commence the selection process and invite successful boards to submit an application. It is anticipated that some invitees will not wish to participate and that more than 120 EOIs / applications will be received. Therefore, a wait-list will be set up.
Places are strictly limited to 120 participants nationally, your EOI is not a guarantee of acceptance. Spaces will be allocated at the discretion of the NZSTA.
The criteria for being approved onto the programme are;
- Applicants should not have attended an NZSTA / SoA residential course before.
- Applicants have completed and submitted Appendix 2 and registered on the NZSTA Learning Management System.
About the programme
- NZSTA will cover the cost of the sailing and PD programme.
- Boards will be required to cover the cost of travel and any additional accommodation (other than on-board).
- All successful applicants are required to provide medical certification of their fitness to undertake the voyage NZSTA can assist with the cost of an appointment with a medical practitioner to obtain this certificate if necessary. Relevant documentation will be sent to successful applicants.
The 2019 programme offers 3 sailings, each able to accommodate 40 student representatives:
- Saturday 26 January 2019 - Tuesday 29 January 2019
- Tuesday 29 January 2019 - Friday 01 February 2019
- Friday 01 February 2019 - Monday 04 February 2019
Participants will join the vessel on Day 1 in Bluff, Southland at 5.30 pm, sail around Stewart Island and disembark on Day 4 back in Bluff, Southland at 4.00 pm.
As well as learning life and sailing skills, participants will take part in NZSTA PD workshops as follows:
- The role of the student representative
- Effective governance
- Effective meetings
- Financial reporting to boards
Once confirmed on a sailing, students will be sent joining instructions from SoA, with suggested travel plans.
Please note that the selection process may take a few weeks and we will notify you whether you have been successful or unsuccessful as soon as possible.
Students are to arrange their own travel to and from Invercargill Airport or Bluff and SoA will arrange chartered buses to take them to the ship.
All enquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org